Thursday, June 28, 2012

A Place For Postcards

It's been a while since I've posted, but with my pregnancy keeping me busy and now we are buying a house too - things have been just a bit crazy!  Today I have a really cool project to share with you using my favorite paper line - Graphic 45.  This is a step by step so be prepared for lots of pictures!

I collect postcards from everywhere we go and my husband always brings me postcards back when he goes on a work trip, but I had no good place to store these.  Well, when I was cruising the local thrift store I spotted this worn out recipe box and I thought it would work perfectly as a postcard box!  So here's what I did:

First step was to pick out all the supplies I wanted to use.  Granted, not all of them got used, but at least I had them close at hand.  I went with the Steampunk Debutante line for this project, I just love the images!
 
Here's the recipe box before I started working on it.  It had some loose hinges so I tightened those down.  I didn't worry about prepping it in anyway except for wiping it down with a damp cloth.


First step - paint!  I used some brown Acrylic paint from Dick Blick.  I love this stuff.  It goes on smoothly and doesn't take a ton of time to dry.  I put on two coats for full coverage.

 After two coats of paint, this is what I had.  Looking good so far!

Then it was time to start adding all the paper accents.  I cut up what I wanted and attached everything with Glossy Accents, my glue of choice. 

Another view from the top of the box.  Looking pretty good so far.

Before I attached any 3D embellishments, this box needed to be mod podged. I used the brush strokes variety because that's what I had on hand and I kind like the way it looks dried.

I added some little plastic bumpers to the inside of the box.  The lid isn't quite level and this helped even things out.

The final step was to go back and glue on all my little 3D accent pieces and voila!  Finished box!

 Here's a view from the back of the box.

 A side view.

 A view from the top.

And here it is with the postcards tucked inside.   I absolutely love it.  It's such a fun place to store my postcards and pull out to show friends.

Thanks for stopping by and checking out my project!  Hopefully once we get into the new house, I can try to post more actively.  Keep scrappin' ladies and have a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment